“When you open your self up to the universe, it will provide.”
The past few weeks have been pretty busy, hence the lack of postings from me. A lot has occurred so I’ll try giving a brief update on everything.
1) My last day of work was Friday, so I’m finally free. I’ve probably worked the latest of anyone going to school, but it worked out well for me. Time really flew by. I can’t be that I will be flying out to Palo Alto on the 23rd…14 days and counting. My feelings about going to school have shifted from pure excitement and anticipation, to a bitter sweet hesitation. After being away from my family and friends for several years, it was nice to be back home and able to see them on a regular basis. I’ve become more sentimental and appreciative for the people in my life as I’ve gotten older. For the first time in my life, I think I will be home sick when I leave. This raises the question of where I’ll end up after school. Is it more important to be in a city I love, or be around the people I love?
2) A sobering moment that made me realize how soon this move is coming was shipping my car, Prince. Yes, I named my car Prince, because he is purple…Purple Rain. I love my car to death and it has been with me for the past six years. Most people run through cars every two or three years, but I have grown attached to my car. Most people are probably thinking that I must have some expensive car, but no, it just my 1999 Honda Accord Coupe.
3) I just returned from a trip to Chicago where I had a project meeting for work and spent the rest of the weekend with some friends. I can’t believe how much I miss that city. So here’s my “Ode to Chicago…Everything I’ll miss about the Windy City”.
• Driving North on Lake Shore Drive in the summer when everyone’s out on the beach
• Driving on Upper Wacker at night with the view of the Chicago River
• Garrett’s popcorn (caramel and cheese mix)
• Deep Dish pizza
• Gaylin at Van Cleef Hair Salon
• All my favorite restaurants: Café Luciano’s, Hugo’s Frog Bar, Café Iberico, Santorini’s in Greektown, Meatloaf at Weber Grill
• Iggy’s Martinis
• Shopping on Michigan Avenue & riding the free summer trolleys
• Evanston and Northwestern University
• Everything about summer in Chicago (festivals, dining al fresco)
•Nothing about the winter in Chicago
4) I attended two Pre-MBA programs at Eli Lilly and Bain & Co. I had really positive experiences at both of them and met a ton of great people. I highly recommend both programs. Most importantly, I received my first internship offer from Eli Lilly in their Marketing organization. I am really excited about this opportunity and think that it’s a good fit for me. On the other hand, I want to continue to evaluate other opportunities during the school year.
5) I had a “Going Away” cookout this past Saturday which was a ton of fun.
6) Its amazing how God places people in your life at just the right times, just when you need them. I have a prospective “business partner” who is just as passionate about the combination of education and business as I am. He will be a first year will me in the fall and we have already begun to brainstorm a ton of ideas. I can’t wait to start school because I know this is just the start of the amazing people I will spend the next two years with.